Wednesday, April 28, 2010

PICC Line Blues

The PICC Line is a semi-permanent IV that I wear in my "good" arm. So far I've had to have one removed, and another put in at a different vein. The function of the PICC is to save veins from toughening or collapse. Because the drugs of chemotherapy are introduced to the body's circulatory system directly, it can be very hard on the system's tissues. The PICC line is a plastic tube that enters at a vein in my arm and ends just by my heart.
The entry site for the PICC line is a half-open wound. It is held in place by a couple of stitches. As you can imagine, getting it caught and accidentally ripping, or tugging the stitches that hold it in place is painful! Yes, PICCs facilitate bloodwork and some other injections, but they're a hazard.
For me, problems started immediately. I was uncomfortable and losing mobility in my arm. It was determined that the vein chosen for the PICC wasn't hearty enough to accommodate it. (That was my fault, I insisted on it being placed where it wouldn't interfere with my swimming. Fool Me.) I had managed to develop a clot at the entry site. When you're on chemo, you have to learn to eat again, nevermind swimming. Everything is different. 
With the second PICC, and the second site, I found tugging on the line was an issue. It had to be wrapped tight and close to my skin to keep from getting caught up. Unfortunately the bandages and adhesives that went around my arm to protect the PICC caused an allergic reaction. The Band of Blisters that covered my arm kept me awake at night. After figuring out how to manage that, my arm started to swell. A day in Emergency at Hotel Dieu ended with the knowledge that I had more than one blood clot. I will be injecting blood thinners daily, into my stomach and thighs, until chemo is over.

2 comments: