The Lump in my breast surprised me. I found it while I was washing my armpit. I panicked, and then forgot about it. Over breakfast I remembered and mentioned the Lump to my room-mate, Pim. He said I should have it checked.
My doctor was able to see me that same morning. Though he did not feel the Lump himself, he did refer me for an ultrasound. I waited only five days.
Lump was clearly visible in the sonogram, and I was asked to stick around for a mammogram. The breast screening clinic wasn't very busy that morning.
There was a message on my phone the next day. I was being asked to go back to the clinic, for a biopsy, the next day. This made me nervous, but I agreed that it would be nice to have it over with.
The biopsy was tricky. All I had to do was lie down, but the doctor's hands were not large enough or strong enough for the giant spring-loaded needle. The doctor wasn't tall and it wasn't easy for her to get a good angle on the area she was aiming for. Lump didn't want to stay still for it, and my breastplate, though on the other side of Lump, was kinda in the way.
The results came in much sooner than anticipated. The call came on a Sunday, after Carly's wedding to Josh. Lump would have to come out and more biopsies would have to be taken from the surrounding tissue.
No comments:
Post a Comment