It's been two years... Of course my experience with cancer continues to influence me, but there have been weeks, if not months, when it hasn't crossed my mind. The blog was completely forgotten! It feels good to write.
On April 15 I went in for a third yearly MRI. It's been THAT long. How many of you have been through MRI machines? No one told me it would be like standing inside a bell while it was being rung! After that first one, I cried and needed hugs and delicious food. This has become my formula for dealing with that necessary evil: MRI + Jeff + lunch at the chanch. Jeff is working on his phD, and tends to be able to accommodate my needs in this regard (admittedly, he is uncomfortable with the hugging). I hope he is available again next year, though I am getting better at handling it. Next time, I've promised myself, I will forgo the dye injection part of the MRI. That will improve my experience by at least 30%.
Before the second MRI, I dreamed there was a cancer
growing inside my ribs, poking my lung. The MRI requisition did not include the lungs - breasts
only - but the dream prompted a change, initiated by my supportive shrink. The MRI showed scarring from radiation on the inner chest wall, affecting the lung. Dreams and psychiatrists can be very helpful.
Controversially, I have also decided to forgo mammograms. The way I see it, granted this goes against my doctor's recommendations, but there has been more than enough radiation exposure and discomfort in that area of my body. It wasn't a mammogram that found the Lump in the first place. The MRI will provide enough information for me, even without the nasty dye.
In other news, the artist-run centre Modern Fuel has accepted my project proposal for next year's exhibition schedule. After all the cancer treatments were done, when I realized I'd survived and had even recovered enough to emerge from menopause, I had a vision, and that's what the project is based on. The show will be next summer. I hope everyone will come.
That's all for now. I won't go so long without writing again, whether you're reading or not.
xoxox
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete