Monday, February 1, 2010

Our visit with the gynaecologist was brief and informative. The consultation room was chilly, I was grateful to keep my clothes on. Dr. Reid has referred me to the Reproductive Centre at McGill University.

Hope is a funny thing. Right now, mine is latched on to the idea that someday I will get to bear children and breastfeed. Unfortunately, the Reproductive Centre fees are not covered by OHIP. As it turns out, my little maybe baby eggs have a heroine! Our friend Jane Popowich is funds-raising on their and my behalf.

The possibility that this cancer may be hereditary is creeping around. Mom and Dad went with me to see Ms. O'Reilly, a Genetic Counsellor with the Familial Oncology Program. Specific information is needed from my aunt who had breast cancer, and some of my blood was taken for testing. The results of this research will not affect egg harvesting or chemotherapy, but may affect treatment afterward.

Uh, chemotherapy sounds awful. Dr. Levesque didn't do a very good job of selling it. I suppose no one honestly could. The pre-chemo screening is kinda fun. The bone scan was awesome. MUGA Monday. CT scan Friday. Teeth cleaning Tuesday! Turns out you can't floss your teeth through the months of chemotherapy treatment because of the risk of developing infections. Who knew? The list of possible side effects is long and gross.

Last Thursday I went to a yoga class in an effort to have optimum health heading into chemo. It was HARD. I didn't realize how weak I had grown until I found myself flopping onto the floor when I was supposed to be lowering myself in a controlled manner.

To keep my spirits up, I went to Basia Bulat's performance at the Sydenham Street United Church on Tuesday evening. She was incredible. What a singer! If she's coming though your town, try to catch her show.

There is a roundtable discussion this evening at the Union Gallery. All this time, since July in fact, I've been involved in a fantastic program called Art Shift. We'll be talking about that experience this evening, and exhibiting this summer. There is a collection of my 'couples' paintings on display in the living room at the Ban Righ Centre. I'll be there to talk about the work and stuff on February 18th around noon, if you'd like to join me.

2 comments:

  1. I am out here watching and listening and reading Erin. Take care with all the intrusions...your spirits sound good as usual. How about putting Jane Popowich contact info in your blog. Su oxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will try to catch Basia Bulat...she is going to be at the Baptist Church here in Ottawa sometime soon...have been reading about her and watching her videos online...glad you got to see her. S.

    ReplyDelete